In two more days....no, actually a day and a half....we'll be headed to Potter County PA. Five days of no phone, no computer and I would say no TV but that would not be true since the trailer has had a TV addition since I was a kid. I'd rather not watch TV at all though. I just want to enjoy spending time with my family and enjoy the mountain and the campfires and the nostalgic feelings I always get when we're in Potter. I've been going to Potter ever since I was a baby...my Dad has been going to Potter ever since HE was a kid. It is where my parents went on their honeymoon! I have memories of my Grandpa in the mountains at his old trailer; he loved it there and spent a lot of time there. I always associated Potter and Grandpa with each other. I will forever think that bears lived in the back bedroom of his trailer because that's what he always told me. I'll always remember how he'd squeeze me hard against his big belly and say "I'm gonna pop your top". I know he'd love it if he could meet Lydia and pop her top too. :) I have fond memories of having only an outhouse and no running water...except of the creek out back. I'd play all day all over the mountains and in the creek. It was wonderful. Its funny how my memories of how things were and how they really are seem a world apart from each other. Perhaps it is because things really did change in 20+ years....we now have an indoor bathroom and running water, even hot water most of the time! The creek doesn't run like it used to and the big clear pool of water I used to play around below the switchback is stagnant now. There are a lot more camps on 'our' road...regular houses really. The area really isn't all that different than what we see every day here in Vermont. But even so I can walk up the road to where Grandpa's trailer used to be or walk down to the old swimming hole and remember all the great times we had there when I was a kid. Going to Potter over labor day is becoming a tradition....is this the third year? I hope our kids have as much fun and make as great of memories as I have of time spent in Potter County PA.
Speaking of kids...Two is treating me slightly better lately. I've only thrown up once in the last five or six days and that was only because my belly was too empty I think. I've been getting some heartburn lately, which I thought wouldn't happen until later but its still better than throwing up. :) I'm not quite as tired as I was earlier on but I still need to take breaks throughout the day (hence why I am sitting here blogging). We're taking our bikes to the mountains and I really hope I can get at least one small ride in with everyone. Mom said there is a really short ride to a water fall that is pretty...I'd like to do that. As much food as we usually have when we go there I wouldn't think keeping my belly full should be a problem. ;)
Lydia is her normal little self. Last night she had a small accident though. I was putting corn away to freeze so I didn't see what happened exactly but apparently she was running and ran right into the door casing between the living room and kitchen. Then she fell backwards and hit her head on the floor too. I wasn't going to go out since Jake was there to take care of her but I had never heard her cry and scream like that before so I had to go to my baby girl. She has a small bruise on her forehead but no where near as big as I thought it would be. She calmed down fairly quickly and was off and running again. Perhaps now would be a good time to start to teach her about not running in the house. ;) She is doing a great job of learning to come when we ask her to. I've been working hard on this with her. She likes to pretend it is a game and smile and run away instead of coming. She is finally starting to obey, after a little persuasion with the wooden spoon. It is hard to correct her for not obeying when she thinks it is a game but at the same time teaching her to obey in small things now is going to help a lot as she learns to obey in bigger things as she gets older. I also love the looks on other people's faces when my one year old obeys me....maybe I shouldn't enjoy that so much but it does make me proud of Lydia when she obeys me without question.
Well, I guess this break is about over. Back to cleaning and packing for our trip. :) I'll certainly have pictures to share when we return. :) :) :)





No comments:
Post a Comment