Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

About time for another update.  I had some pictures to include but can't seem to get them to post.  I'll try to figure that out at some point.  Right now I'm just excited (maybe that's too strong of a word...happy) to have a few minutes to sit here and write a few paragraphs (that is, if no one wakes up in the next 10 minutes). 

Since I'm not sure how much time I have I'll just do the normal run-down of how everyone is doing.

Seth.  The most notable thing about Seth is his size.  He's a big boy.  I'm not sure of his exact size right now but over 17 pounds and 25 inches.  He has his 4 month checkup in a few weeks so we'll get measurements then.  I was going to say 'more accurate' measurements but I don't feel the way they measure is really any more accurate than we do here at home. :)   He's a happy little boy and pretty much an easy baby.  Right now I'm working on trying to get him to take naps in his bed rather than in his swing.  He loves his swing.  It doesn't have to be swinging, he just likes to sleep in it.  It's not a bad thing really but I'm afraid he is going to outgrow it rather quickly.  Today he took 2 naps in his bed but they were very short ones.  I tried for #3 but he just cried and cried, finally gagged and almost threw up so I put him in the swing.  I normally wouldn't have left him in his bed that long crying but there were two other wee people who needed me at that moment.  I feel bad when I have to ignore one to meet another's needs but it does happen sometimes. :(   Seth hasn't really met any huge milestones yet but he is getting better with his hands.  He knows they are there now and I think he knows what they are for.  He's just working on coordinating mind and body.  He likes to hold onto his blanket and eat his fist. :)  He is getting much stronger and is now able to use the saucer.  I think he likes being able to sit up and watch what is going on.  He's been demonstrating a little more personality lately. The strangest thing is that he seems to scare easily.  Any sudden or loud noise- like a little girl running past him screaming- makes him cry.  We've done a lot of giving hugs and kisses and saying 'sorry' to Seth lately.  I'm hoping he outgrows this and doesn't end up being (another) super sensitive kid. But if he is I guess that's ok too. :)   He is quick to smile and loves to laugh. I love him. :)

Speaking of sensitive kids...  Anna.  She is such a nut.  She's doing a pretty good job of learning to express her emotions correctly.  I think.  At least she isn't having fits as much as she used to but sometimes I wonder if I really went about it correctly.  The big thing that helped her stop was putting her in the hall on a blanket during fits.  She did not like that.  But now sometimes when she feels like she needs to cry she goes and gets her blankey and sits by herself to cry.  It's heartbreaking.  She doesn't do that very often but I really hate it when she does.  This morning I went to her and cuddled her and told her I was sorry about what had happened.  (she accidentally pulled on the large mirror in the bathroom, almost making it fall on her and I 'yelled' for her to stop)  It scared her and hurt her feelings.  But she didn't want me for comfort...I guess that's the part that hurts.  She is going through a Daddy stage right now too so that may contribute to it.  When she wakes up in the morning she says "Daddy?  Daddy!  I need you, Daddy!"   She and Lydia have been playing together very well lately. They still have issues, of course, at times but they seem to be doing a better job of understanding one another and getting along.  I actually feel sometimes like they know each other better than I know them.  Sometimes Anna will say something and I'll answer her but Lydia says "no, she said..." and I realize I misunderstood.  It's cute.  I love that they seem to care about each other (mostly) and I try hard to foster that in them.

Lydia is growing up.  I can't believe she'll be 4 in 5 weeks.  I ordered her two books so we can start kindergarten this fall. It was a hard decision on what to do with her schooling this year but we decided to go ahead with the kindergarten (K5) Abeka curriculum and just work on it a little slower and add some things in along the way to make it last 2 years.  This way she will be able to start 1st grade at 6 years old.  At this point she is perfectly capable of being a year 'ahead' but I didn't want her to get overwhelmed in 2nd or 3rd and end up having to repeat one of those grades.  I'm a little bit concerned about how to incorporate school into our schedule but hopefully it will go smoothly.  I need to get myself a tad bit more organized and I think we'll have to give up at least one of our activities (probably play group).  I'm looking forward to being the teacher and hoping that transition will go well.  We've been having some (small) obedience issues lately as well as arguing/talking back problems.  I've been working with her and she is getting better but it's a hard new phase we're in. We've worked out a system that she gets 3 chances or warnings before being spanked for talking back. SO MANY times she ends up never getting a spanking because we talk about it and she says "I'm sorry, Mommy" with tears in her eyes and I can't do it.  This irritates me because it is so unlike me to be soft, lol....but I can't help it.  She IS trying and I feel I need to honor that.  Funny how parenting doesn't appear to get easier as they get older, haha. 

But even with the hard parts it's a fun life.  I still have times that I feel like I'm in survival mode but for the most part I feel like I'm enjoying the journey.  And it certainly helps to be able to be outside again!!  I'm loving the warmer weather!!  Seth isn't a huge fan of being outside so that makes it a little challenging but then I think about next summer when he'll be running around too and I wish time would slow down a little.
We sometimes talk about "when we can do...." and "when the kids are older..." but I'm trying hard to enjoy each day and not let them grow up too fast!  :) 

No comments: