Week #1
The Letter A
Lydia is 2 years and 3 months old
I think we had a successful first week of 'school'. I know we had fun and I think we learned something!
I already posted about our first day and learning about A is for apple so we'll go on to our second day- A is for ant and anteater.
I think this day made the least impact on her. She hadn't previously known what an anteater was and wasn't really all that interested in him. We had fun with our anteater craft though and she got to practice her fine motor skills with scissors, glue and making ants. Counting also came into play as we made ants with a head, body and 'hiney'...yeah, we'll work on entomology later in our school years.
We ended the day still knowing that A is for apple but not really getting that it was also for anteater and ant.
That evening we prepared for our next day by going on a nature walk to hunt for acorns. We had LOTS of fun with that and Lydia even found some acorns all by herself. We were walking down the trail not looking for acorns at that moment and she said "I FOUND ONE!!!" and bent down and picked one up. They were not abundant on the ground so I was impressed.
Daddy and Anna were also a part of our nature hike, of course, so it was good family fun. :)
We also got to explore other nature things, including mushrooms.
Our third day we learned that A is for acorn. We worked more on tracing the letters A and a. Then did a really fun craft with the acorn's caps. We colored inside the caps with water based markers (the picture is of a permanent marker- those didn't work) then put glue in on top. When they dried the glue took on the color of the marker.
We also put some of our very cool glitter glue in a lot of them. :)
Smearing the glue around the inside of the cap was very fun!
They are now serving as part of our fall decorations on the dining room table.
On Thursday we took a break from learning about the letter A and instead went to story time at the Bath (NH) library. This was the first experience that Lydia had with other children outside of church so I was interested to see how she would do. Although she wouldn't talk very much (which I expected) we had a good time and I think she enjoyed it. They lady who read the stories was very good and I thought it was very nice that they did a craft with the kids also. We plan on going back. :)
Lydia sat at a little table with Lily for the craft time.
We didn't do much for school on Friday either because we had plans with some friends but we spent a little time practicing writing and reviewing the sounds that A makes. I also attempted to get her to tell me about what she had learned during the week on video but she has a way of not 'performing' when she knows there is a camera on her so we'll have to try for that again another time. ;)






No comments:
Post a Comment