Speaking of Tara...I have to mention the wonderful nurses who took care of Seth and I in the birthing center. Tara R was wonderful, as always, as she prepped me for surgery. Of course, Bonnie was there from just before leaving for the OR through recovery then checked in on us a few times through the afternoon and evening. Tara- the other Tara- was a new nurse that I hadn't had with either of the girls. She was very nice and we seemed to have some things in common. It was nice to chat with her between checks on vital signs and such. Jolene was my nurse on Friday and even though they were busy with other patients that day also we were able to visit a little bit on and off. The night nurse was Melissa. She was very helpful with letting Seth go hang out with her between feedings so I could rest. She was also very good about getting me my medication on time...which the day shift seemed to have trouble with at times. One of the other neat things this time was "room service". The cafeteria had a menu and an in-house phone number that I could call any time for things to eat or drink and to order my meals. It was neat to be able to have anything I wanted at any time, although I didn't end up ordering anything other than meals. So, as always, I had a really nice experience at the birthing center. I always feel so well taken care of and comfortable there! Even though I was anxious to get home to the rest of my family there is still a little twinge of homesickness for the hospital and being taken care of. ;)
Another thing I love about our birthing center is that they call to follow up and see how we are doing. Tara called yesterday to see how Seth and I were coming along. The only complaint I have is my right nipple. Sorry if you didn't need to know that but it is awful. It actually started bleeding this afternoon. Tara said she would call again in a few days to see if it had gotten any better after trying a few of the tips she gave me to try to get it to heal and for Seth to get a better latch on that side. He is fine on the left side, although that side was sore for a while too it is better now. I'm really hoping the right side toughens up soon and I can get some relief. It hurts even when he's not nursing let alone when he starts out sucking. They are always asking at the hospital what your pain level is. Throughout everything when I was there my pain level never exceeded a 3. This pain has got to be at least an 8. Terrible. But, he's growing well and gaining weight. He was back to his birth weight within a week! So if growing a healthy little baby means being in pain every 3 hours then I guess I'll just keep gritting my teeth and plugging away. It can't help but get better. Right? Right??? :)





No comments:
Post a Comment