Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's February.  Finally.  We've waited for YEARS for February to get here.  Ok, it's been 9 months but in some ways it feels like years.  In other ways it seems like this pregnancy has just flown by.  Crazy how time can go so fast and so slow at the same time. 
Next week we will meet our newest little member of the family. 
We had our 38 week appointment yesterday (Jan 31st).  Our doctor had mentioned at our previous appointment that she is going on vacation the 11th and would like if Seth was born before she left.  It's not a big deal if she is there of course since there are other qualified doctors to deliver him but we would feel most comfortable having her there since she is the only one who has followed this pregnancy and she knows my history and such.  Jake and I talked about it and decided to ask what she thought about scheduling a C section if he isn't born before she leaves.  I was pretty sure she would strongly encourage us to do another VBAC but was surprised when she said she has no strong feelings either way.  She said there is a slight advantage to both baby and mother to have a vaginal birth, which I knew.  So she said she was fine with thinking about doing a c section if he wasn't making progress towards coming on his own.  She checked me and found that I was not dilated- maybe a tiny bit, but not enough to count for anything.  I was pretty sure that was the case because everything still feels pretty comfy in there. ;)   So, we'll wait for my appt on Monday (the 6th) and see if there has been any progress.  If I'm dilated enough for her to strip my membranes we'll do that and try to get things moving but if nothing happens then we've made the decision to schedule a C section for late in the week- most likely the 9th since that will give us two days with her as our doctor afterward and it's also my Grandmother's birthday so she'll like that. ;-)  
It was a difficult decision between going for a 2nd VBAC or a 2nd C section.  Last night I went back on the blog here and read my birth stories from Lydia and Anna and what I had to say about recovery from both experiences.  That was the deciding factor.  My C section experience was overall a much better experience.  10 days after surgery I was normal again.  No pain, no discomfort.  A year after having Anna I was still not feeling 'right'.  I know if I had not torn so badly with Anna I would not feel the way I do but it was not a pleasant experience.  I know the experience either way the 2nd time around could be...will be...totally different than the 1st time.  So maybe I'll end up with a horrible C section experience or a wonderful VBAC experience.  If I just KNEW how it would go either way it would make this decision so much easier.....   Life is full of unknowns. But I do know that no matter how the little guy enters the world we are excited to meet him and hold him and cuddle him and love him.

No comments: