Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 10, 2008

This afternoon I went over to the hospital to have my gestational diabetes test and to have my blood tested to see if it was reacting with the baby's blood. I don't understand the whole thing exactly, but because I am O negative my blood could reject the baby's blood if her blood is anything other than O negative. I guess the problem isn't this pregnancy, but if we have other children my body would be set up to reject them based on the blood type they had...something like that. Anyway, the blood test showed there were no antibodies there yet so I got a shot to prevent my blood from having issues with they baby's blood. It was a huge (ok, not huge, but big) needle so they had to put it in my butt instead of my arm. I have to say I feel more sorry for babies when they have shots now...it HURT! Honestly, I think she injected it too fast..it was a pretty big syringe and it didn't take her very long at all to put it all in there, and I felt every drop burning its way in! Then the poor little spot was bleeding so I asked the nurse if she wasn't going to put something on it and she said 'oh, no, its ok'. I looked at it again and it had a little bubble of blood on it so I asked again and she said 'no, its fine'. So I put myself all back together and when I was walking out I said something to her about the blood leaking through onto my pants and she said 'no, it'll be ok'. Well, I went straight to the bathroom and it was already leaking through so I put a paper towel on it to hold it till we got home then Jake put a bandaid on it. I couldn't believe that she refused to put a bandaid on it...I mean, hello?!?! it was bleeding! I thought it was like standard procedure to put bandaids on things like that. VERY strange. My dad said there must be a bandaid shortage there. So, that was pretty exciting. The glucose test wasn't as bad as the doctor had said it would be. I had to drink just a cup full of stuff that tasted like flat orange soda. The doctor made it sound like I had to drink a lot of somthing horrible. I had to wait an hour then the drew my blood to check the sugar level. They didn't tell me the results so I'll have to wait till the doctors office calls. Hopefully it was fine and I don't have to go back in for the one that had to wait three hours to test. Probably I don't need more sugar in my system today though. :)
I just talked to my one co-worker on the phone. His wife is due on the 24th and they are getting pretty anxious I guess. She is dialated one centimeter and has had some false labor pains. They have an appt tomorrow to see how things are going. He sounded pretty up-tight about it all. I guess the end must be the hardest part...not knowing exactly when things are going to start happening. In only 10 more weeks we are going to be about at that point!! I don't feel anxious or anything yet, but I'm sure I will when that time comes. I am getting pretty excited to meet our little baby though. The more she moves and kicks and wiggles the more I want to meet her face to face and be able to hold her and cuddle her...yay. :) One of the nurses that drew my blood today said after she had her little girl she really missed feeling those kicks and wiggles. I had never thought about that before, I wonder if I'll miss it after she is out? Maybe. We'll just have to start over again then. :) :) :)
Ok, going to do something productive now. ;)

No comments: