Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yesterday I got on a kick to get Lydia on a schedule. I was reading about babies and schedules and how schedules help with sleeping through the night. One of the things that seemed important was getting her to put herself to sleep so that when she wakes up at night she can put herself back to sleep. I have been totally against the "cry it out" method but decided that I would try it. I cuddled her until she was mostly asleep then laid her in her bed. She woke up and screamed. I let her cry for five minutes then went in and told her I loved her and cuddled her until she was calm then laid her down again. For her nap yesterday afternoon this worked perfectly and she went to sleep. Then at bedtime I tried again but she would NOT calm down again and I had to end up feeding her to get her to stop screaming. Then during the night I let her cry (just cry, not scream) twice instead of picking her up and she did go back to sleep in less than five minutes both times. I also got up and fed her twice last night. This morning for her nap I tried letting her put herself to sleep again but she just screamed so I held her until she went to sleep then put her in bed. That is the extent of my trying the CIO method. I think it is horrible to teach her that Mommy isn't going to come when she needs me. And I think going to sleep because you are exhausted from screaming is no way to relax. So I am just going to keep cuddling her to sleep then putting her in bed. At night I am going to keep letting her cry sometimes though because she really needs to learn to not get up 4-5 times at night. But I am NOT willing to let her scream when I am perfectly capable of holding her and loving her. I wholeheartedly believe that she will be putting herself to sleep and sleeping through the night on her own at a reasonable age even if I cuddle her to put her to sleep.
But, all of that said, I do still want to have some sort of schedule for her. Right now we just wing it every day and do whatever seems right at the time. I think it will help her (and me) to know what comes next. So I am writing down everything she does (well, not everything...just feedings, going to sleep and waking up) during the day so I know more of what she needs. So I'm not really making a schedule for her, I'm learning what her schedule actually is so I can better meet her needs. I'm thinking that if we both know what is going on and what comes next she might be happier and more ready to sleep a whole night through.
...or not. who knows. :)

In other news. I have been just dying to share this with everyone but didn't have the go-ahead until a few days ago. Matthew and Missy are going to have a Baby Cousin for Lydia!!!!!!! I am soooooooo excited!!!!!!! The coolest thing is that Baby Cousin is due on Lydia's birthday! Now I just wish we lived closer to each other so Lydia and Cousin could be friends and play with each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Rachel, (sister)

Thanks for sharing the exciting new. Missy is at 16 weeks on Sunday. Only 2 more weeks until we find out the sex, but we may keep that a secret for now ;) :)