Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, August 23, 2010

I guess I don't really have to mention that a LOT has been going on around here this past week.  I did not realize how much stress is involved in post-accident details! I did realize that the accident itself was stressful and the days following it weren't easy with the memories of what had happened and dealing with the pain of injuries and a two year old who is suddenly very afraid of loud noises.  But the paper work, phone calls, decisions to be made are things that I did not know about.  I spent the majority of two entire days on the phone with insurance adjusters, the police, the hospital, the car dealership, as well as many calls from and to family members and friends wanting to know what happened and if we needed anything, etc.  While it is wonderful to be loved and called I have to say that I'm glad the phone has stopped ringing.  I've never liked the phone anyway. ;)   Then the paperwork...wow...the paperwork.  From our insurance.  From the other guy's insurance. From the police.  From the hospital.  From the ambulance service.  It's still coming.  And it's not over yet.  We have the vehicle claim settled and will be getting our check for $15,100 from the insurance for that this week sometime (if all goes as planned).  But we still have our injury claim to settle.  All four of us are going to have a checkup at the doctors on Wend this week to see how we are coming along.  A lot depends on that whether or not we can settle now or wait a while to see how our injuries heal.  I know I am not feeling anywhere near better yet.  I still ache all over and my chest is still very painful, especially since I can't "take it easy" with two little girls to take care of and a husband and a house too.  Of course, I've had offer upon offer from people to help but I just don't feel right sitting here watching other people do my work for me.  We'll see what the doctor says...if I need to take a rest I will, but we're going vacation next week anyway so I may as well just wait until then.
The one thing that I did not anticipate to be as stressful as it has been is deciding what to do about another vehicle.  I've never been stressed about car shopping in the past.  It's always been fun before.  But it just isn't fun when you are forced to look for something new when you hadn't been planning to car shop again for at least 10 years.  I loved our van, it met our needs perfectly and I had grown attached to it.  Now it is who-knows-where in a junk yard and we're trying to figure out what to do within the $15,100 for another one.  We looked at dealers in PA online and found some that we liked.  The dealer here only had one that met close to all of our criteria (a problem of living in a rural area).  We brought it home, looked it over, drove it around- they actually rented it to us so we had something to drive until things are settled.  We talked to the dealer today and compared their price with our other options and decided this is it.  So, we're 99% sure this is the van we'll be getting to replace the smashed one:

We like it.  It was a rental vehicle at the dealer we're buying it from so they've kept it maintained and know it's history.  It doesn't have any major issues and the few minor ones we found they are going to take care of for us before we bring it home for good.  One thing I do really like about it is that it looks more SUV-ish than van-ish.   I don't love it, but I'm sure it will grow on me....it's gonna have to.  I think I would love it if we were buying it under normal circumstances.  We do feel we are getting a good deal on it though so that makes us feel better.  It's 2 years newer than our old one and has half the miles on it so we're upgrading for a relatively small out-of-pocket expense. (Thank you, Lord, for working that out!)
And, yeah, we're leaving for vacation NEXT WEEK!  I didn't even realize it was next week until Mom mentioned it this evening.  I knew it was for Labor Day but I did not put two and two together that we only have a week to get things finalized with the van and get things packed!  We're going to end up being gone for 18 days.  Originally we were planning to just go to my parent's camp in Potter County for five days and come home.  But because of this accident mess Jake had to move a week of training for work to the week after Labor day.  So, he is going to fly from Baltimore to Texas for a week and the girls and I are going to stay with my parents.  I really don't like being away from home for that long.  I am all about routine and being at home but everyone else seems to feel better knowing the girls and I are with family so we're going to stay down there.  I am looking forward to being able to see my grandparents and other family though since we hadn't planned on seeing them again until Christmas.  And I now it will be GREAT for the girls to be with Mimi and Buddy for an extra week or so. :) 
So, besides all of that this past week was even less fun because Lydia was grumpy.  Or should I say GRUMPY!  I have never had her be that "off" for so long.  It was getting really old, really fast.  I think it probably did have something to do with the accident.  Maybe her body hurt too?  Maybe she had a persisting headache just like Jake and I do?  Maybe she can sense the stress we are all under right now?  Or it is the fear she is living with?   Or maybe it is because she is two and trying to figure out just how to relate to the world around her?  Whatever it was, I was tired of it.  By Sunday afternoon I as exhausted, from dealing with everything else and having a constantly whining two year old.  I cracked down.  No more Mrs. Nice Guy.  I am amazed....astounded...by how (relatively) easy it has been to begin to change her attitude.  Along with good-old-fashioned correction I have started talking to her about how to say things, how to ask for things, etc.  Every time she whines I give her an example of how she SHOULD be asking or saying whatever it is she wants or whatever.  Like, if she wants juice- instead of whining "juuuuuiceeeee" she needs to, in a NICE voice, say "may I have some juice, please, Mommy?".  It's working.  Now I get "juice please, Mom" and about 70% of the time it is in an appropriate voice.  She is even starting to catch herself whining and change it herself now.  Hooray for progress.  Have I mentioned how thankful I am that she is a quick learner?   
In other happiness, Lydia is really starting to include Anna in her play more often now. It is so adorable. I love it.  She spins her in her saucer and brings her toys and talks to her. Anna LOVES it.  She just loves to watch her sister and smiles from ear to ear any time Lydia pays attention to her.  Anna is doing a good job of sitting up on her own now so that is making it easier for them to play together more too.  Lydia seems to think it is pretty cool that Anna can sit places with her and often asks me to "put Anna in tent with me, Mama?" or "Anna sit under table too?"  This evening Lydia was giving Anna horsey rides.  It was great!  I'm going to have to get a video of that.  :) 
But for now I'm going to go to bed.  Everyone else is already asleep!! 

No comments: