Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 26, 2008

I can't believe Lydia. She goes from not sleeping well at all to sleeping like a little log. The last two nights she has slept 6 hours at once then another 3 or 4 after that. I was reading an article online that said its a wonder babies sleep at all with everything their little brains are trying to learn all at once. It said that they go through learning cycles. When they are trying to learn a new task they typically don't sleep well. Then when they have mastered that task they will sleep really well for a little while before they begin to learn another new task. This makes sense to me. I guess there was one study done on it and they figured according to the different weeks of development when babies wouldn't sleep well. Lydia falls right between two of the times she should have slept well, so it doesn't actually hold true for her in that way. But all kids learn things at different paces so it could be that her brain was learning about her hands and thats why she wasn't sleeping. She has also been really looking at colors lately. I think she is starting to notice patterns and contrasts in color. Like this morning I had her on our bed, which we just put a new blanket on. She looked down at the blanket and just stared at it for a while then smiled really big and tried to reach out to touch it. She is also back into talking again. She had stopped talking as much a few weeks ago. I thought it was because of the cough she had but now I think maybe it was because she was concentrating on learning how to use her hands. Her brain must be happy with her hand development and is now using previously learned things, like talking (and sleeping). :) ...so thats my theory. She'll start to learn a new task soon and we will be back to no sleep again. :) :)
I didn't go to church this morning. I still don't feel very well but I think I'm getting better. Yesterday was good. Jake took care of Lydia pretty much all day. My cooking took most of the day...longer than I thought it would, but it was nice to not have to worry about doing thing with Lydia while I was cooking. The pumpkin pies turned out funny. The pumpkins I planted were supposed to be pie pumpkins but they turned out huge and very un-pie-like. So the pies don't taste much like pumpkin, more like custard. I guess thats ok if you like custard pie. :) Jake said he'll have no trouble eating them. :) He enjoyed his pizza too. :) :)
Oh, yeah, Lydia did learn another new thing. When laying on her belly she now pulls her knees up under her and lifts her butt up in the air. Her arms aren't strong enough to lift her up but she can lift from the waste up using her ab muscles (not at the same time her butt is in the air). She still pretty much hates belly time but yesterday she did a little better with it and practiced her butt lifting for a while. :) As soon as her arms get strong enough to lift her chest she'll be off and crawling. :) :) :)

No comments: